Thursday, January 22, 2015

Review: Waistcoats & Weaponry by Gail Carriger

Waistcoats & Weaponry (Finishing School, #3)
Waistcoats & Weaponry by Gail Carriger
(Finishing School #3)
November 4, 2014
304 pages
Genre: Young Adult Steampunk
Source: eARC for Honest review

Sophronia continues second year finishing school in style -- with a steel-bladed fan secreted in the folds of her ball gown. She, best friend Dimity, sweet sootie Soap, and charming Lord Felix Mersey stow away on train to return classmate Sidheag to her werewolf pack in Scotland. No one suspects what or who would be aboard the suspiciously empty train.

I am still loving this series. It's fun, it's creative, and it's completely engaging. Picking up about a year since the last book ended, Sophronia and her friends are ensconced in finishing school until tragedy strikes Sidheag's werewolf pack. Sidheag's attachment to her pack pulls the whole crew along, and somehow Sophronia, Sidheag, Dimity, Felix, and Soap end up on a suspicious train and a find themselves uncovering a plot beyond their plans or expectations. I got a real kick out of all the situations they would find themselves in, the twists and developments, and especially the witty dialogue.

I love the thought process that goes on in this series, not just in the overall plot, but especially with Sophronia. I find her character completely engaging and fascinating. She is one of my favorite characters I've read, honestly. And I tell you, I love the journey of all these characters. I love that they have varied qualities. I love the way they work together. I love the way they communicate. I just love how the characters are written. Even walking through the bit of a love triangle with Sophronia, Felix, and Soap, was so well considered, particularly for someone like me who isn't normally a fan of love triangles. Oh for the love of Soap! And the way this novel wrapped up, with new developments, some surprises, and where we're left... woah. Loved it! I can't want to see what happens next!

I highly recommend this series to young adults and adults alike. Clean writing, fun characters, and a fascinating plot. Love it!



Have you started this series yet?
Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1)
Book 1: Etiquette & Espionage
MY REVIEW -- AMAZON -- GOODREADS

Curtsies & Conspiracies (Finishing School, #2)
Book 2: Curtsies & Conspiracies
MY REVIEW -- AMAZON -- GOODREADS

Waistcoats & Weaponry (Finishing School, #3)
Book 3: Waistcoats & Weaponry

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see the series keeps going strong. So far I've only had the pleasure of reading the first, and this one sounds great :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts.