Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Book Review: The Opportunist

The Opportunist (Love Me With Lies, #1)
The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher
November 14, 2011
429 pages
Source: Personal Purchase
Goodreads Summary:
Olivia Kaspen has just discovered that her ex-boyfriend, Caleb Drake, has lost his memory. With an already lousy reputation for taking advantage of situations, Olivia must decide how far she is willing to go to get Caleb back. Wrestling to keep her true identity and their sordid past under wraps, Olivia’s greatest obstacle is Caleb’s wicked, new girlfriend; Leah Smith. It is a race to the finish as these two vipers engage in a vicious tug of war to possess a man who no longer remembers them. But, soon enough Olivia must face the consequences of her lies, and in the process discover that sometimes love falls short of redemption.
My Review:

I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the emotional roller coaster this book put me through. I had to stay up into the late hours of the evening because I could not put it down. This book scoops you up, then smacks you around, shakes you, and leaves you gasping on the side of the road, bleeding and broken.

Caleb & Olivia's story of love, deception, and consequences is pure emotional torture at its best. I have to admit, most of the book I didn't even really like either of them. Their relationship was so chemically imbalanced. Olivia's deceptive personality was flat-out aggravating, and even evil at times. Caleb was so smooth and confident, yet such a glutton for punishment and sneaky in his own right. Caleb & Olivia truly drove me crazy. As for Leah, well I felt a bit sorry for her but really, she was pretty crazy. And Noah, well what's not to love about Noah. I just hope things turn out for him better than I fear. By the end of the book I was a wreck. I looked gratefully at my husband (who was soundly asleep since I finished the book way after I should have gone to bed) and thanked God that we have an honest relationship and I'm married to my first true love. Then I cried and prayed that he'll live a long life with me. I say, keep the drama to the books and not in my real life!

After I've reread some of the more hopeful parts (I didn't say super hopeful, just more hopeful) toward the end of the book (because I need my mind to be in a better place than this emotional torture), I come to find out that there's going to be another book. What?! And then a third book after that. Double What?!?! I'm not sure if I'm excited or realizing that I'm about to be placed in another emotional punching bag for Ms. Fisher to torment me again. I'd come to grips with the ending already. Why must she torture me so?? But, of course, stupid me will fall right into her trap and read the books anyway. If you love pure drama and don't mind truly jacked up characters, then this is the series for you.

 
5 EMOTIONAL SCARS... I MEAN STARS
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts.