Monday, November 12, 2012

Book Review: Catching Jordan

Catching Jordan (Hundred Oaks, #1)
Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally
December 1, 2011
Sourcebooks Fire
281 pages
Source: Personal Purchase
Goodreads Summary:
ONE OF THE BOYS

What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university.

But everything she's ever worked for is threatened when Ty Greeen moves to her school. Not only is he an amazing QB, but he's also amazingly hot. And for the first time, Jordan's feeling vulnerable. Can she keep her head in the game while her heart's on the line?
My Review:
 

This book has gotten a lot of positive reviews, but I must go against the flow with my review. The characters lacked something that kept me from connecting with them, and despite the potential of the storyline, it just didn't do enough for me. Here are my pros and cons of Catching Jordan. I tried not to be spoilery, but I may have a few that slipped through.

Pros:
I liked the storyline of the book, the uniqueness of Jordan's character (liked her honesty, though she lacked a bit of maturity), the football references (even though I'm not a football fan), Jordan's relationships with the guys on her team (I loved that her best friends were guys who loved her and looked out for her), her best friend Sam Henry (except for the times he was a wussy male tramp), development of friendships with girls, her supportive brother, and resolution in relationship with her dad.

Cons:
I didn't like the immaturity of Jordan's character (why does she fall apart with the look of one cute guy? is it really necessary to punch the guys so much?), obsession with casual sex (particularly the football guys and cheerleaders - way too much stereotyping), fast relationship with Ty who had a compelling story himself but she barely knew him (and gave herself up to him quickly - why? and his character, even his family, were never fully flushed out, making him lack dimention.), the love triangle seemed forced, Sam coping with his heartbreak through lots of sex (really? he had no other outlet?), and despite the sex talk the book lacked romance of any kind. 

Bottomline: I tried to like this book, but just couldn't. Maybe you'll have better luck.

2 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts.