Thursday, November 8, 2012

Book Review: Finale

Finale (Hush, Hush, #4)
Finale by Becca Fitzpatrick
October 23, 2012
Simin & Schuster
464 pages
Source: Personal Purchase
Goodreads Summary:
Fates unfurl in the gripping conclusion to the New York Times bestselling Hush, Hush saga.

Nora is more certain than ever that she is in love with Patch. Fallen angel or no, he is the one for her. Her heritage and destiny may mean they are fated to be enemies, but there is no turning her back on him. Now Nora and Patch must gather their strength to face one last, perilous trial. Old enemies return, new enemies are made, and a friend's ultimate betrayal threatens the peace Patch and Nora so desperately want. The battle lines are drawn—but which sides are they on? And in the end, are there some obstacles even love can't conquer?
My Review:

I admit, this book took me a while to get into. I don't know if I was just in a weird place or if it was the story. Perhaps mentally I'd hoped for a trilogy, so the rest of me wasn't ready to accept a 4th book. It took me a week to read half the book (I'm usually a much faster reader). Then I got to the halfway point and that turned a corner for me in the right direction. I'm avoiding spoilers, and I assume anyone reading this has already read the other books (because that's just silly to keep reading if you haven't, lol).

My main problem was that Nora was just annoying me, particularly in the beginning. I think it was a combination of things, but mainly her insecurities with Patch and her lack of leadership with the Nephilim. She should trust Patch by now and just get over herself. She's 17. It's okay to know that someone else knows something she might not. I also never completely bought her as Hank's replacement as leader. Let's just say it took me a while (hence the slow reading). But by the end, Nora had many redeeming qualities that I respected her for, and she grew on me.

As for Patch, I really liked him in this book. He was patient, focused, understanding, and dangerous. Not quite sure what he still sees in Nora, but whatever. I'll go with it. They did have some nice moments where I could see their chemistry. Eventually Nora won me over and I decided maybe she'd be worthy of Patch. And I was cheering for their HEA. Dante was super interesting and I loved all the twists and turns with him. I wish there was more Vee. She's so much fun. Scott was sweet and supportive. Just the kind of friend everyone should have.

The storyline went in odd directions and I wasn't sure where Becca was going with it at times. But that ended up working to her advantage, because there were many things I wasn't expecting and kept me guessing. I like that everything wasn't totally predictable. I also appreciate the ending, the bitter with the sweet.  There was a particular moment at the end that I thought was quite beautiful and well done. It really wrapped things up nicely for me. Of course I can't give details, but I was satisfied with how things ended.

So overall, a slow start, but an enjoyable read and satisfying series conclusion.

4 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts.