Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Review: The Siren's Dance by Amber Belldene

The Siren's Dance by Amber Belldene
(A Siren Romance #2)
April 26, 2016
Genre: Paranormal, Romance, 18+
Contains: strong language, sex
Source: eARC for Honest review

The performance of their lives is about to begin…

Death has transformed former ballerina Anya Truss into a vila—an alluring wind nymph—but her need for revenge has kept her trapped on the riverbank where she was drowned. Now, after fifty years of waiting, she finally has a chance to break free by getting even with her cruel dance instructor, the man who betrayed her and broke her heart. But for her plan to work, she must place her trust in a handsome but unlikely ally.

Straight-laced police investigator Sergey Yuchenko has spent years searching for the father he never knew, and he finally has a solid lead. Problem is, that lead comes in the form of a ghost—a gorgeous but stubborn vila with destructive powers she can't control. Anya's graceful beauty awakens a desire in Sergey like he's never felt before. But when past secrets are brought to light, the lovers will have to face an evil that could tear them apart forever.

I was completely engaged by 'The Siren's Dance.' Though I did read the first book in this series, and thoroughly enjoyed it, this second book can be read as a standalone. You will get pieces of the first couple's story though, so it may tempt you to backtrack to their story. I actually re-read the last few chapters of the previous book before starting this one, and it helped refresh my mind and get me right back into this story world.

If you've read the previous book and worry that this one is just going to be more of the same, don't fret. Not only is Anya very different from her sister in her personality and history, but Sergey has a very different upbringing and career from Dmitri, making this couple unique and endearing in their own special way. I liked all the special nuances of this story. Anya has not only suffered from being murdered, but she has this complicated ballet history that really drew me in. Belldene did a great job layering Anya. She's so prickly, but there is so much hidden beneath her shell. I loved the patience Sergey showed her, seeing her for more than the front she put off. Sergey was a terrific guy, and the perfect balance to Anya. He also has a fascinating history, and honestly, I did not see a certain part of his past coming. Well done on keeping me on my toes. Also, well done on creeping me out and giving me the heebie-jeebies toward the end. But not the very end. The very end was perfect.

This story definitely engaged me from the budding romance to the mysterious pasts to the creepy evil dude needing to be stopped. What I especially liked is the bond these two formed. Though they were seeking out the same man, their hearts wound up seeking each other out, finding the one other person who truly understood them for what they were. Their love story was complicated, suspenseful, and ultimately beautiful.


Siren Romance Series:
The Siren's Touch #1

The Siren's Dance #2

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts.