Friday, March 31, 2017

Review: My Not So Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella

My Not So Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella
February 7, 2017
438 pages
Genre: Women's Fiction, Chick-Lit

Katie Brenner has the perfect life: a flat in London, a glamorous job, and a super-cool Instagram feed.

Ok, so the real truth is that she rents a tiny room with no space for a wardrobe, has a hideous commute to a lowly admin job, and the life she shares on Instagram isn’t really hers.

But one day her dreams are bound to come true, aren’t they?

Until her not-so perfect life comes crashing down when her mega-successful boss Demeter gives her the sack. All Katie’s hopes are shattered. She has to move home to Somerset, where she helps her dad with his new glamping business.

Then Demeter and her family book in for a holiday, and Katie sees her chance. But should she get revenge on the woman who ruined her dreams? Or try to get her job back? Does Demeter – the woman with everything – have such an idyllic life herself? Maybe they have more in common than it seems.

And what’s wrong with not-so-perfect, anyway?

So this was a cute read. I liked the overall message that not everyone's life is as perfect as it may seem. Wealth does not equal a perfect life. But what I struggled with was the pace and length of the book. Truth be told, it took two tries to get into the book. I was bored with Cat/Katie initially and the storyline in general. After skimming and skipping ahead, I found the excitement I was looking for and was able to get into the story. So there were definitely highlights to the story, especially the more I got into the Katie/Demeter/Alex craziness. There were certainly some lovely moments that engaged me to these characters. On the other hand, I continued to skim bits and pieces until the end. Perhaps for me, the ramblings and repetition needed to be trimmed down a bit. Overall, though, a cute read with a lovely message and a happy ending.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts.