Friday, December 30, 2016

Review: Edward Unspooled by Craig Lancaster

Edward Unspooled by Craig Lancaster
(Edward #3)
July 17, 2016
288 pages
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Contains: some language and sexual references

Change keeps stalking Edward Stanton. He and his new wife, Sheila, have retreated to his small house in Montana after an unsuccessful attempt at operating a motel in Colorado. That failure has left wounds, especially for Sheila, and now they face a bigger challenge: pregnancy and impending parenthood.

Edward begins penning notes to the child (ever precise, he refers to the gestating being as "Cellular Stanton") as he navigates married life with Sheila, who is unhappy and unfulfilled in Montana; a work partnership with his friend Scott Shamwell, whose own life is teetering; and the emergence of a long-buried family secret and the effect of this revelation on his relationship with his overbearing mother.

Even as Edward's world expands, he must confront questions about whom to let in, how much to give, the very definition of family, the fragility of hope, and the expanses of love.

This is the third book following the life of Edward Stanton. Though you could read this as a standalone, I highly recommend the first two books so you can have the full appreciation of Edward's journey. This is one of my favorite series.

I loved that Edward got another book. I rejoiced in his marriage, but I needed fatherhood for him. And this story went beyond my expectations. I didn't realize the journey Edward would be taking was going to go beyond just impending fatherhood. There was much more going on here, and I loved it. And the way this was written, through Edward's journal to the baby, turned out to be a brilliant.

This story handled Edward's transition to fatherhood beautifully, hitting all of Edward's layers. But there were a boatload of other layers infused in this story. We get Edward himself, with his fascinating depths, Edward's marriage to Sheila, and insights and revelations into Sheila herself. I particularly loved Edward's relationship with his friend Scott Shamwell. We're also introduced to another person in Edward's life, whom I can't wait to read more about. And there's just the right dose of life drama that enriches this story.

I dearly love Edward Stanton. He's one of my favorite fictional characters, and I would be exuberant (I love the word exuberant) beyond reason to have more books about him.


Book 1: 
Book 2: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts.