Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Quickie Book Review: Sweet Peril


Sweet Peril (The Sweet Trilogy, #2)
Sweet Peril by Wendy Higgins
(Book 2: The Sweet Trilogy)
April 30, 2013
HarperTeen
371 pages
Genre: Mature Young Adult Paranormal
(contains: some sexual references, alcohol/drug references)
Source: Personal purchase
Book Blurb:
Anna Whitt, the daughter of a guardian angel and a demon, promised herself she’d never do the work of her father—polluting souls. She’d been naïve to make such a vow. She’d been naïve about a lot of things.

Haunted by demon whisperers, Anna does whatever she can to survive, even if it means embracing her dark side and earning an unwanted reputation as her school’s party girl. Her life has never looked more bleak. And all the while there’s Kaidan Rowe, son of the Duke of Lust, plaguing her heart and mind.

When an unexpected lost message from the angels surfaces, Anna finds herself traveling the globe with Kopano, son of Wrath, in an attempt to gain support of fellow Nephilim and give them hope for the first time. It soon becomes clear that whatever freedoms Anna and the rest of the Neph are hoping to win will not be gained without a fight. Until then, Anna and Kaidan must put aside the issues between them, overcome the steamiest of temptations yet, and face the ultimate question: is loving someone worth risking their life?
My Quickie Review:

I read this book the week it came out, but for some odd reason I never wrote a review, so I'm doing it now. But my late review doesn’t take away the fact that I loved this book. Because this book deserves a review. Because I love this book! This is one of my favorite series. I’ve read Sweet Evil twice and Sweet Peril once. I plan on re-reading both books again before Sweet Reckoning comes out. And then I'm sure they will continue to be future re-reads. I’m so excited for the last book! If you haven’t started this series, I highly recommend it. If you’ve read Sweet Evil but haven’t gotten to read Sweet Peril yet, then you need to.

In this second book, we get right back into the thick of things, and I won’t go into specifics because spoilers are just cruel. But I will say that we get to know these characters so much more, and the suspense keeps you reading to the very end. There is heartache as we have to watch the tragedy of Anna and Kaiden’s circumstances in their relationship. And not just them, all these half-demon children are basically just servants and pawns and it’s tragic. But to watch them fight and find allies keeps your spirits up, keeps you hopeful as you dream of the day when they can truly make their own choices. There are touching, beautiful, heart-melting scenes, and tragic, frustrating, heart-breaking scenes. The entire read I felt the anticipation of something great coming and the fear of something awful about to happen. I call that great writing! In the end, we are left with hope, but still so much more work to be done. There are no quick-fix, easy solutions here. I can’t wait for Sweet Reckoning! Once again, I highly recommend this series.

5 STARS
 


The Sweet Trilogy. Look for the final book, April 2014!
Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy, #1)  Sweet Peril (The Sweet Trilogy, #2)  Sweet Reckoning (The Sweet Trilogy, #3)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts.