Monday, October 28, 2013

Book Review: The Iron Traitor


The Iron Traitor (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten, #2)
The Iron Traitor by Julie Kagawa
(The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten #2)
October 29, 2013
Harper Teen
304 pages
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
(contains a few curse words)
Source: eARC from publisher for Honest review
(though I also pre-ordered the paperback)
Book Blurb:
In the real world, when you vanish into thin air for a week, people tend to notice.

After his unexpected journey into the lands of the fey, Ethan Chase just wants to get back to normal. Well, as "normal" as you can be when you see faeries every day of your life. Suddenly the former loner with the bad reputation has someone to try for-his girlfriend, Kenzie. Never mind that he's forbidden to see her again.

But when your name is Ethan Chase and your sister is one of the most powerful faeries in the Nevernever, "normal" simply isn't to be. For Ethan's nephew, Keirran, is missing, and may be on the verge of doing something unthinkable in the name of saving his own love. Something that will fracture the human and faery worlds forever, and give rise to the dangerous fey known as the Forgotten. As Ethan's and Keirran's fates entwine and Keirran slips further into darkness, Ethan's next choice may decide the fate of them all.

My Review:

Simply stated: I loved it. Go read it.  

About the storyline:
The story picks up right after The Lost Prince, and in true Kagawa style, the entire book is filled with action, adventure, humor, tragedy, anticipation, suspense, and thought-provoking situations. We also get reunited with our favorite characters from the original Iron Fey series, which is a huge treat. Plus, a couple of these fey tend to be scene stealers, though Ethan tried to hold his own. I flew through the first three-quarters of the book, then I slowed way down because I realized it was about to end, so I dragged it out. And I loved it. I will warn you, it ends on quite the cliffhanger, but with an inkling of... something. I don't know. I'm afraid to even guess what's going to happen next. What I do know is that I really want the next book, like yesterday. And I'll say that, even if you hate cliffhangers (like me), this is completely worth the read and the suspense until next time.

About the characters:
I love looking at everything through Ethan's eyes. I love Ethan. He's such a wonderful protagonist for me. We know how he grew up, we know the trauma he's endured from the previous books, but now we're seeing how he's even changing the rules for himself. Something he never in a million years intended. His thought process, his conflicting emotions, they are so well written and portrayed. His brooding, hardened exterior is his own glamour used to protect him, but I love that deep down inside he's a total softie. I love his relationship with Kenzie and what she brings out of him. Plus, Kenzie is her own special force, a firecracker and a gentle hand. She's a real treat as a heroine - someone who may be physically weak, but has the heart and soul of a fighter. Then there's Keirran, who is just a mixed bag. I feel so sad for him, the isolation he grew up with, the uniqueness of his abilities, the little boy underneath all the power he truly isn't ready to deal with. He's also so tender, loving, and sweet with Annwyl, and their story is so touching. But on the flip side, he makes these ridiculous decisions, ignoring the consequences, and he can be flat-out scary... often. There's a lot going on with him in this book. A lot.

Bottomline:
Julie Kagawa continues to impress me with her amazing writing. She has created this fantastic world, these complex stories that completely draw you in, and these characters you give your loyalty to and call your own. The Iron Traitor is another amazing read, and I eagerly look forward to the next book and what's going to happen next. If you haven't started this series, you need to.

5 STARS
 
Buy on AMAZON  *  Add to GOODREADS

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts.