Monday, October 7, 2013

Book Signing: Meet Kate DiCamillo & K.G. Campbell

Kate DiCamillo showing the illustrations while K.G. narrated.
My middle son (10 y.o.) and I had the pleasure of meeting author Kate DiCamillo and illustrator K.G. Campbell this past Sunday during their Flora and Ulysses book tour. We had to do a lot of maneuvering with people and schedules, but we made it, and it was great. Kate was funny and engaging and K.G. was easy-going and insightful. They shared about their newest work as well as about writing and illustrating in general. They were a delight to listen to and engage with, and we had a great time.
 
K.G. Campbell, my middle son, & Kate DiCamillo
My middle son is also my reluctant reader. My eldest son is the one who frequents book and author events with me. But he was out of town, so I asked my middle guy if he wanted to go, and he not only agreed to come, but was excited about it. It's not that he hasn't attended signings before, he just usually isn't very excited about it. But he's growing. We not only got to bond over books, but also got some great one-on-one time together, which isn't always easy with two other brothers always around. He also told me he'd like to go to more of these events with me, which is huge for him. So thank you to Kate and K.G. for giving my son such a great experience. And parents, don't give up on your reluctant readers.
 
The stack of books we got signed.
Check out K.G.'s cute illustration :)
Kate DiCamillo's newest book is called Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures. It has wonderful illustrations by K.G. Campbell, and looks like a great read.

Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures

If you are unfamiliar with the rest of Kate DiCamillo's work, take a gander at some of her amazing books:

Because of Winn-Dixie The Tale of Despereaux The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane 
 
The Magician's Elephant The Tiger Rising Mercy Watson to the Rescue (Mercy Watson #1) 
 
About Author Kate DiCamillo:
I was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, raised in Clermont, Florida, and currently live in Minneapolis, Minnesota. I write for both children and adults and I like to think of myself as a storyteller.

Here are a few more facts about me: I am short. And loud. I hate to cook and love to eat. I am single and childless, but I have lots of friends and I am an aunt to three lovely children (Luke, Roxanne, and Max) and one not so lovely dog (Henry).
 
I think of myself as an enormously lucky person: I get to tell stories for a living.
 
 
About Author-Illustrator K.G. Campbell:
K. G. Campbell is the author-illustrator of Lester’s Dreadful Sweaters. He was born in Kenya, raised in Scotland, and now lives in southern California.

K.G.'s Website: http://kgcampbell.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts.