Friday, May 8, 2015

Review: The Consequence of Loving Colton by Rachel Van Dyken

The Consequence of Loving Colton
by Rachel Van Dyken
April 21, 2015
304 pages
Genre: New Adult Romance
Contains: Some language and sexual references
Source: eARC for Honest review

My name is Milo Caro and I have a confession to make.

I’ve been in love with Colton Mathews since I was five. He should have known that sharing a cookie with a sugar obsessed little monster would do the trick–it sealed his fate. So really, the fact that he’s sporting a black eye, a limp, almost got ran over by a car, and was nearly responsible for another person’s death? Right. HIs fault. Not mine.

I made a pact with myself–this weekend would be different. I’d come home for my brothers wedding, smile, and Colton would naturally melt into my arms, we’d get married have five kids, live in a house by the river, and get a dog named scratch (clearly I’ve thought this through).

What really happened? I punched my brother in the face, Colton kissed me and apologized, I lied about having a boyfriend, oh and everyone wants to meet the mystery man.

They say laughter always comes before insanity–ha, ha. All I wanted was my brother’s best friend…instead I’m sitting in prison.

Let this be a lesson to you all…life rarely happens the way you want it to.

Damn cookie.

To say I loved 'The Consequence of Loving Colton' would be an understatement. I need a much bigger word than loved. It's one of my new favorite reads. I haven't laughed this much in a book in a long time. I had to start hiding from my family because they kept giving me weird looks when I was constantly laughing out loud. It was funny and witty and weird and quirky. I loved it so much I immediately bought the paperback for my bookshelf, because an e-copy simply was not enough. This is going on my re-read list for sure.

So about the story. Milo has been in love with Colton for years. But Colton is her older brother's best friend. After a devastating statement from her brother, Milo realized that Colton has only ever seen her as a little sister, a pest, a tag-along. This broke her heart years ago, and she has been avoiding him ever since. But Milo's brother is getting married, which forces Milo home and into the company of Colton, her brother's best man. Could this weekend get any worse? Oh yeah, a whole lot worse. And a whole lot funny.

The crazy things that ensue during this wedding weekend had me in complete stitches. Milo is a tough-and-tumble kind of girl. A bit clumsy, a bit rough-around-the-edges, a lot responsible for accidental (or intentional) incidences of bodily harm. Colton, misunderstood boy that he is, has a habit of saying the wrong thing, even though we can see that he sees Milo as more than a kid sister. The way these two bumble around each other, irritate each other (on purpose), bicker, goof off, toss around the attraction vibes like crazy, and are just a bit overboard in general, is pure awesomeness. But beyond the crazy, funny goodness is two people who I absolutely adored together, who made a beautiful couple, and I was rooting for big time (if they could keep from killing each other first).

Along with Milo and Colton is a cast of characters that I would totally watch on TV or in the movies. The witty dialogue and banter was what really sent this story to another level for me. It was page after page of situations and conversations that were perhaps over-the-top, but I loved every moment. And when I say situations, I mean the things that happen to these people (and they did to themselves) in one weekend is like the sketch comedy from hell, and I'm just glad there was no permanent damage (or was there?)

And that ending! I didn't know how the author was going to pull this off, but it was perfect! Now I'm excited that there will be more books in this series. The next one is for Max, Milo's best friend, and I cannot wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts.