Sunday, July 7, 2013

Quickie Review: School Spirits

I find that I'm not always able to give a full-blown, in-depth review of all the books I read. But that doesn't mean they aren't worthy of a proper review or shout-out. It just means my time is limited. So I will be doing the occasional QUICKIE REVIEW, providing my thoughts in a few short but sweet sentences on some of my reads, because I still want to honor these books in some way. I hope you find these helpful.


School Spirits
School Spirits by Rachel Hawkins
May 14, 2013
Disney-Hyperion publisher
297 pages
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Personal purchase
Book Blurb:
Fifteen-year-old Izzy Brannick was trained to fight monsters. For centuries, her family has hunted magical creatures. But when Izzy’s older sister vanishes without a trace while on a job, Izzy's mom decides they need to take a break.

Izzy and her mom move to a new town, but they soon discover it’s not as normal as it appears. A series of hauntings has been plaguing the local high school, and Izzy is determined to prove her worth and investigate. But assuming the guise of an average teenager is easier said than done. For a tough girl who's always been on her own, it’s strange to suddenly make friends and maybe even have a crush.

Can Izzy trust her new friends to help find the secret behind the hauntings before more people get hurt?

Rachel Hawkins' delightful spin-off brings the same wit and charm as the New York Times best-selling Hex Hall series. Get ready for more magic, mystery and romance!


My Review:

I absolutely loved the Hex Hall series, so I was really looking forward to School Spirits. I was also under the impression initially that this would be a spin-off trilogy. Sadly, it is only a spin-off book, and according to Rachel at her book signing I attended, there are no other novels planned at this time. I say "sadly" because, while I enjoyed this book, the ending left me wanting. Not only do I want to read more about these characters, but I also have a few unresolved issues that I would love to be addressed in another book. I will say that Rachel did a nice job walking us through what it must have really been like for Izzy to attend public school after growing up away from society the way she has. I loved her social awkwardness and her inability to always control the "extra" powers she had. I particularly liked her new group of friends, especially Dex. I loved Dex! I need more Dex! He was the real cream of the crop here and would be worthy of his own book. This was a solidly enjoyable read that kept me fully engaged, with its great characters and enticing action and mystery, and you don't necessarily have to have read the Hex Hall series to enjoy it.

3 1/2 STARS

Book Links:
AMAZON   *   GOODREADS

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts.