Saturday, July 20, 2013

Quickie Review: Anguish

I find that I'm not always able to give a full-blown, in-depth review of all the books I read. But that doesn't mean they aren't worthy of a proper review or shout-out. It just means my time is limited. So I will be doing the occasional QUICKIE REVIEW, providing my thoughts in a few short but sweet sentences on some of my reads, because I still want to honor these books in some way. I hope you find these helpful.
 

AnguiSH
Anguish by Lila Felix
June 11, 2013
230 pages
Genre: New Adult
Source: Personal purchase
 
Book Blurb:
Anguish was the status quo, until she walked in. 
Breaker James Collins is confined in a prison of his own making. Scarred doesn’t begin to define his hell since finding out his girlfriend had cheated, stolen, and lied two years ago. It led to a single event—one that would blacken his days and his nights from then on. Since then, he hasn’t left his house, crippled by fear of people and any social interaction. 
Ashland talks too much and has the voice of a meth-laden prairie dog, or so she’s always been told. She’s been called annoying and irritating all of her life and gave up on having friends for a long time. College has given her a new lease on a social life and she’s embraced who she is. But now she’s waiting for the one guy who can take her breath away and put up with her antics.  
A simple note pinned to a corkboard will lead Ash right to Breaker’s solitary world and she will learn that just because a guy doesn’t fit her ideal, doesn’t mean she won’t fall head over feet in love.
My Review:

I really enjoyed this story. It was nice for once to read about a boy with an anxiety disorder and not just the girl. Breaker was a very endearing character, and his journey felt very real. My neighbor growing up was agoraphobic (still is) so I know these disorders exist. Ash was his sunshine, and I loved that while she has also endured difficult things in her past, those things have made her stronger. The interactions between Breaker and Ash were well-paced, with such tenderness and honesty, appealing to my romantic side as well as my empathetic side as my heart broke over Breaker's struggles. I loved watching their relationship develop and how good they were together, yet also how they needed to be strong without each other as well. It was also refreshing that this was a New Adult book that had romantic moments, but did not rely on heavy sexual scenes to get the love between the characters across. This was my first Lila Felix book, and I look forward to reading more.

4 STARS

Book Links:
AMAZON   *   GOODREADS
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts.