Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Double Review: Bite Me & Once Bitten, Twice Shy by C.C. Wood

Bite Me (Bitten, #1)
Bite Me by C.C. Wood
(Bitten #1)
September 11, 2013
Genre: Paranormal Romance 18+
Contains: explicit sex and language
Source: Personal purchase

I had the perfect life; an awesome job in advertising, a gorgeous high rise apartment, and a flirtation with the guy down the hall. Then it all came crashing down. Two months later I was a cocktail waitress living in a tiny one bedroom apartment. I had also developed a serious ‘men suck’ attitude.

That all changed the night I met the beautiful and enigmatic Conner Savage. But there was just one little problem…he said he was a vampire. Figures a man that hot would be batshit crazy. Or so I thought. It didn't take me long to realize that Conner wasn't a nut job and that I was addicted to him.

With every moment we spent together he drew me deeper into his world and the supernatural culture in which he lived.
Now I had a choice: the vampire I craved or a normal life. Couldn't be easier, right?


First, I need to say that I discovered this series when I read the SHIVER Anthology, which included a short story that takes place later in this series. I instantly liked the characters and was beyond curious about the rest of the story. In fact, I immediately contacted the author to find out if there would be more to that particular couple's story. And then I grabbed the first book in this series, BITE ME, and knew I found a new series to love. So the moral of the story is: Anthologies can be a great way to find new authors. Not every story in an anthology will grab me, but when you find that special gem, it's worth it.

Back to BITE ME. I really liked this story. It's not just a sexy romance. Well, yes, it is a sexy romance. But it also has an fascinating paranormal world that sucked me right in. Donna, our heroine and non-paranormal, is pulled into Connor's, our vampire's, world and their attraction and connection goes beyond just a bit of interest. Some crazy things happen, which I won't spoil. But Donna is a real trooper. I really liked her. She is put through the ringer, but she's not a quitter. You can see why Connor would fall for her. And vice versa, because Connor was pretty terrific. Now Connor isn't developed quite as well as Donna. There were still some things I wanted to know more about him. But there's no denying his appeal and his devotion. They are a fantastic couple together. Plus, the whole paranormal world around them has a much larger storyline, full of some very intense scenes. I was quite nervous about how things would play out with the enemy vampires. But I loved how the plot flowed. Now I look forward to the rest of the series and all the things that will play out.

 

Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Bitten, #2)
Once Bitten, Twice Shy by C.C. Wood
(Bitten #2)
March 2, 2014
Genre: Paranormal Romance 18+
Contains: explicit sex and language
Source: Personal purchase

I used to think that my life was boring. I resigned myself to the rut I was stuck in. Then my entire existence was turned upside down.

In the last six months, I’ve learned things that would get me committed to an asylum if I repeated them. First, I was kidnapped by vampires. Yes, vampires. Sounds crazy, right? My best friend, Donna, became one of the fanged after that little adventure and hooked up with a hot, Scottish vampire named Conner. They’re even planning a wedding.

Secondly, I learned not all vampires are evil. In fact, some of them are downright sexy.

Alexander Dimitriades has it all. He’s tall, dark, and handsome and manages to give me tingles in all the right place and also make me laugh. Unfortunately, to be with him, I would have to give up my humanity and I like being human. Then, there’s the fact that the whole drinking blood thing gives me the heebie jeebies.

To make matters worse, there are plans in motion to change the place vampires hold in the human world. And I’m caught in the middle, between the vampire I’m falling in love with and a group that wants to create a vampire dictatorship, with humans as slaves.

Now, all I want is my calm, normal life back. As my friend, Ricki, likes to say, “Be careful what you wish for because it might come and bite you on the ass.” I hate it when she’s right.


If you thought Donna and Connor were sexy, just wait until you read Ivie and Lex. Donna and Connor are almost mild compared to them. Lex has what you may call a 'kinky' side and Ivie has had her share of boring men and been wanting more. But she was highly traumatized in the first book, so letting down her walls to the enigmatic Lex is no easy task. But the attraction and chemistry is undeniable. And once those walls come down, Lex is a no holds barred kind of guy.

These two were super sexy, but I will also say they were super sweet. Lex may have been an alpha male of the nth degree, but after living for so long, once he found the woman for him, he was also tender and considerate and devoted. Ivie gets all sides of him, and that's what I really liked in their relationship. The two of them really helped each other and completed each other.

But the paranormal world is still in heavy turmoil, with danger around every bend. There's so much really exciting stuff happening here - deciphering good and bad guys, protecting humans, discovering new abilities, and breaking down barriers. This is a really fun world CC has created and the stories are getting better and better. You know I'll be happily continuing this series.
 
 
 
BITE ME:  Amazon  --  Goodreads
ONCE BITTEN, TWICE SHY:  Amazon  --  Goodreads
SHIVER Anthology:  Amazon  --  Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts.