Friday, March 14, 2014

(Adult) Book Review: Spin by CD Reiss


Spin (Songs of Corruption, #1)
Spin by CD Reiss
Songs of Corruption: Book 1
March 12, 2014
Fido Publishing
240 pages
Genre: Adult Fiction Erotica 18+
(contains: strong language, explicit sex, violence)
Source: eARC from publisher for Honest review
Book Blurb:
Mafia capo, Antonio Spinelli blew through my orderly life like a cyclone.

Gorgeous and passionate, with a breathtaking brutality, he put me under his spell the moment he touched me, drawing me into his underworld of risk, violence and betrayal.

And I found, just as this sophisticated savage didn’t trust me, I didn’t trust
myself. Something happened to me. Some alchemy from the heat between us.

I discovered I was a savage, too. 
*Note: You do NOT need to read Songs of Submission to read Spin.*
**Mature Audiences: Rough sex. Dirty talk. Criminal activity. Cursing. Fisticuffs. Closed course. Professional driver. Do not try this at home.** 
 
My Review:
 
I suspect that CD Reiss somehow laced my e-reader with a powerful narcotic, because when it comes to her books, there is a very addicting quality to them. I read the Songs of Submission series a couple of months ago, and was completely engrossed by them. Reading Spin (Theresa's spinoff) was just as addicting, but a story and characters completely different. Since I can't prove she's slipped me some highly addictive drug, I'm left with the simple fact that Reiss is a brilliant writer. The way she strings sentences, scenes, thoughts, and emotions together truly brings you into another world and hooks you into whatever journey she's taking you on. If you are familiar with Reiss's books, then you know she holds nothing back, and her books are not for the light romance reader. If you are unfamiliar, be prepared for an intense, erotic read.

As for the story itself, I found the developing relationship between Theresa and Antonio absolutely fascinating. Between their off-the-charts chemistry, their spiraling and intermingling personalities, the opposition of their worlds, and their whirlwind erotic romance, they are a couple that is not easily forgotten. Add into that Theresa's mayoral candidate ex-fiancé, Theresa's director friend who gets herself into a whole lot of trouble, Antonio's sketchy and mysterious resume, and Antonio's questionable associates, and you've got yourself a story full of action and intrigue that flows non-stop from beginning to end, not a dull moment in sight.

As for the sex, as you might have expected, the sex is rough, it's dirty, it's erotic. You've been warned. But it somehow fits these two characters and their dynamic completely. The romance is well-written, and though the sex is detailed, it's not excessive and overly verbose. I do confess that the shower scene was a bit of a stretch (pun intended) for me, and I found myself laughing when the scene wasn't funny. But other than that, this crazy romance was oddly believable and definitely hot. And there is just something beautiful and sensual about Antonio and Theresa that comes across the pages, even when they're being rough.

Overall, Spin is a highly addictive and wild ride, filled with suspense, danger, and sex. Antonio and Theresa are off-the-charts in more ways than one (hot, smart, a bit crazy). The writing will draw you in and keep your attention from start to finish. The ending is not a cliffhanger, but more a here's-where-they-are-for-now, but you'll be okay with that until the next book.

5 STARS
 
BOOK LINKS:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts.