Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Book Review: Just For Now

Just for Now (Sea Breeze #4)
Just For Now by Abbi Glines
October 30, 2012
Simon & Schuster
Source: Personal Purchase
Genre: New Adult
Goodreads Summary:
The day Preston Drake figured out that wealthy women paid well for a set of tight abs and a pretty face his life turned around.

The run down rat-infested trailer he had shared with his alcoholic mother and three younger siblings was now only a place he visited to pay the bills and stock the pantry with food.

He no longer worried about his family starving or living without electricity. The money he made entertaining rich older women more than covered his family’s needs and his own. He had it all figured out. Except…

There was this girl.

She was as innocent as he was tainted.

Amanda Hardy wished her knees didn’t get weak when Preston walked into a room. She hated the fact her heart raced when he flashed his smile in her direction. He had a different girl in his bed every night. He was the kind of boy a smart girl ran from. So, why was she coming up with ways to get close to him? Even when it was obvious he wanted to keep her at a distance.

Maybe her heart knew something the world didn’t. Maybe Preston Drake was more than just a pretty face.
My Review:

If you are not familiar with Abbi Glines' Sea Breeze series, this is the fourth book. It's not necessary to have read the previous books in order to read this one. Each book focuses on a couple of characters, and the previous ones make appearances. But I've read all the books in order, and I'd say reading them in order definitely gives you even more perspective on this group of friends. The other books are: Breathe, Because of Low, and While It Lasts.

Just for Now follows Preston and Amanda's story, both of whom made appearances in the previous books. I've read all of Abbi Glines' books, and I'd say this is the most intense of them all. Preston's story has so much more depth. It's actually quite heart-breaking and I spent most of the book feeling sad and depressed. Preston is described as a total playboy in the other books, and here we get to understand why that perception is there. What we didn't know from the previous glimpses in the other books is how much responsibility he has for his family and how the choices he's made in his life are starting to to have repercussions.

Amanda is as sweet in this book as she has been as Marcus' sister and Sadie's best friend in the other books. She is also relentless in her feelings toward Preston. But even as she is hurt over and over again, she doesn't lose the kindness of her character. I appreciate that about her. Perhaps she's naive. But she's trying to see Preston for who he is deep inside, the person he's been hiding, and not just the persona he hides behind. She sees that Preston is more than just a pretty face and hot body. He has kindness and compassion, when he's not trying to push her away with his hurtful words. I love that he starts to let her in where he hasn't even let his best friends. Amanda also isn't shy about trying to remove the barriers he puts up. But she doesn't know all his secrets...yet.

Preston and Amanda had no shortage of chemistry and love between them, even when they were in denial. I really liked how sweet they were together when their barriers were dropped (and Preston wasn't acting like a jerk). There is a lot going on in the storyline beyond just Preston and Amanda falling in love. All our favorite friends make appearances in the book as well. I like that even after throwing punches this group of friends gets behind each other, looks out for each other, and forgives each other. Rock is especially awesome in this book (a true friend to Preston). Marcus plays a great role as Amanda's overprotective big brother, but also as Preston's best friend. And I couldn't help but love Preston's siblings, and his and Amanda's interactions with them (you'd have to be crazy not to).

I can't say I was smiling a lot while reading. Actually, the whole prologue bummed me out and set the pace for me. I think my heart hurt too much over Preston and Amanda's (mostly Preston's) circumstances throughout the book. But I had a very hard time putting the book down. I finished it the day it came out. I not only fell in love with Preston and Amanda, but with their group of friends all over again. I was cheering for a happy ending and holding out for hope that all was not lost. Abbi Glines delivers a heart-breaking yet hopeful story of love, friendship, and forgiveness, with steamy sex scenes to boot.

4 STARS

*Personal note: This book includes some graphic adult scenes and situations. I'm married and feel comfortable reading this. If I weren't married, I wouldn't, but that's just my personal feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts.