Thursday, January 2, 2014

Novella Review: A Beautiful Wedding



A Beautiful Wedding (Beautiful, #2.5)
A Beautiful Wedding by Jamie McGuire
(Beautiful #2.5)
December 10, 2013
Atria Books
160 pages
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
(contains: sex, strong language)
Source: Personal purchase
Book Blurb:
You know that Abby Abernathy unexpectedly became Mrs. Maddox. But what do you really know?

Why did Abby pop the question?
What secrets were shared before the ceremony?
Where did they spend their wedding night?
Who else knew about it . . . and didn’t tell?

Everything about Abby and Travis’s elopement was top-secret . . . until now. Fans of Beautiful Disaster and Walking Disaster will get all of their questions answered in this whirlwind tale of the wedding day (and night!)—and as with all good stories, this one will definitely have been worth the wait.
My Review:

I loved Beautiful Disaster. I've read it several times, and plan to continue re-reading it often in the future. There's just something special about the book, so I was very much looking forward to A Beautiful Wedding. Any further insight or additional glimpses into Travis and Abby sound awesome to me and I welcome them with open arms. 

But be warned, what happens in this novella may not be what you expected. It certainly wasn't for me. I had much trepidation in the beginning with the extra insight into Abby and Travis's thoughts because we not only get their feelings on eloping spontaneously, but we also get their feelings about the fire. So we get sadness and joy blended together.

Abby wasn't my favorite head to be in initially. It takes some adjusting getting used to her reasons for proposing to Travis. But with time I grew to appreciate her intentions and feelings, and loved her dedication to Travis. I also loved her special, tender moment with a certain "letter." And even though Abby can play the poker face, her heart and soul for Travis are apparent.

Travis, on the other hand, was still the same the funny, crazy guy I've grown to love, but with a boost to his tender and compassionate side. He has some truly sweet, beautiful things he says to Abby that make you swoon, and some touching things he says about his family, especially Shepley. I loved that extra insight. Plus we get some rather hilarious moments with his brothers. All of these things make you love him even more.

Bottomline: We get new information in this novella, not just a repeat of Beautiful Disaster, showcasing the Vegas wedding, the outcomes of the fire, and a taste of the future. I really enjoyed seeing Travis and Abby again and remembering all the reasons I fell in love with them in the first place. But this may not be the insight you're looking for, so be warned. Makes me want to read BD all over again.

3-1/2 to 4 STARS
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts.