Thursday, December 5, 2013

Novella Review: A Vampire's Christmas Carol


A Vampire's Christmas Carol
A Vampire's Christmas Carol by Cynthia Eden
November 11, 2013
72 pages
Genre: Adult Paranormal Romance (18+)
(contains: sex, strong language)
Source: eARC from publisher for Honest review
Book Blurb:
This holiday season has bite.

Ben Prescott hates Christmas—he’s a vampire, and to him, there’s certainly nothing jolly about the holiday season. While the humans are running around being merry, he’s hunting in the shadows. Ben plans to spend the holidays his way…by stalking deadly prey.

But fate has other plans for Ben.

Three visitors are coming Ben’s way…A demon who will force Ben to face his past, a ghost who will show Ben the present he could have, and a shifter who will reveal the darkness that waits in Ben’s future. Unless Ben can change his ways, he may just turn into a real monster, one who can’t be saved by anyone or anything.

’Tis the season…to be undead.

Ben’s redemption rests in the hands of the one woman he loved and lost—Simone Laurent. If Ben is going to have a chance at being more than just the beast in the darkness, he has to prove himself to the lovely Simone. A very hard task, considering that, once upon a Christmas Eve, Simone died in Ben’s arms…
_________________

Warning: This book features one very tortured vampire, a sexy ghost from his past, and hot scenes designed to melt the winter snow. Plenty of action, adult situations, and steamy times are ahead. Happy holidays!
My Review:

I don't often give novellas 5 star ratings, but I just loved this one so much and couldn't help myself. I was expecting a simple, light read, and got so very much more. I only wished that this was part of a series, because I would love to read more about these characters. I loved all of them and would love to read an entire series about them. But if this novella is all we get from them, then I will still be satisfied that it was a completely worthy read.

Ben, our main character, has a tragic past, an awful present, and a heart-breaking future. The vampire we're presented with has gone from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows and is on the verge of irreparable damage. Enter a twist on Dicken's A Christmas Carol. We are able to experience and re-experience so much along with Ben, and it was real and raw at times, but also so very important to give the reader the complete picture. We get heart-break, we get joy, we get steamy hot moments, and we get... well, we get the rest of the story.

I was completely engaged and engulfed in the way this story played out. I didn't know what to expect, and loved how the author plotted out the course. I was impressed at how well-developed these characters were, Ben in particular, for such a quick read. I couldn't help but completely feel for Ben and all the hurt he'd been through, all the anguish he felt, and how utterly hopeless he felt. To read about the choices he had to make and how his fate would be decided was very touching. And then the conclusion was so well-played! I loved it all.

Throw in some great support characters, and the story fully bloomed. From Simone, whom I really enjoyed the twist she brought, and her heart and dedication to Ben. To William, with his snarky, smart-mouthed, and funny self. To Jamison, the straight-forward, humor-laced guy who has a serious side but is no alpha. All brought so much to the table and, again, I just wished there were more books about them because I genuinely liked reading about these characters.

If you're looking for a unique holiday read, with great characters and a some hot vampire scenes, then I'd recommend checking out A Vampire's Christmas Carol. This was a surprise hit for me, and I look forward to re-reading it.
 
5 STARS
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts.