Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Book Review: Runaway Groom


Runaway Groom
Runaway Groom by Sally Clements
June 7, 2013
185 pages
Genre: Adult Contemporary Romance
Source: NetGalley for honest review
Book Blurb:
Seven years ago, Matthew Logan ran out on his wedding to June Leigh.

Life is good for fledgling dress-designer April Leigh. She couldn’t be happier that her sister has found a new love, and is excited about her very first commission, June’s wedding dress. 
When April discovers June has invited runaway groom Matthew Logan to the wedding, she has to intervene. Matthew’s presence will ruin everything – her father hates him, and just the sight of him in the church might give her mother a heart attack.

Matthew Logan has no intention of going to June’s wedding, but when intriguing April arrives on his doorstep, he can’t resist getting to know her better. When a disaster forces them together neither can deny the passion that combusts into a red-hot affair.

Discovering the truth about the past shifts April’s feelings from lust to love, but bitter experience has taught Matthew to guard his heart.

When it looks as though Matthew will lose her forever, will he fight or flee?


My Review:

I was attracted to the premise of this book: June is getting married after being run out on by her previous fiancé seven years ago, but decides to invite him to her wedding. April, June's sister, thinks this is a very bad idea since her entire family hates him and have never forgiven him. April decides to track him down and persuade him against attending this wedding. But circumstances, and attraction, bring April and Matthew closer than had been intended. And when people get closer, secrets tend to be revealed.

I was definitely entertained by this book and wanted to see how everything would play out. What kind of relationship would develop between April and Matthew? What was the real deal with June? When the truth was revealed, how would everyone react? Would April and Matthew be able to get past their previous hurts and fears? All these questions and more were answered and I enjoyed how they came about. There was steady movement in the plot, and the book is a quick read and never left me bored.

The main characters of April and Matthew were interesting to me and I liked their backstories. I liked the little bits of insight we got at their personal world with work projects, etc, without getting too bogged down with the details. I would have liked more development with them, however, particularly along the lines of their relationship with each other. Their physical attraction and chemistry was obvious. We even get snippets on what they like about the other. But there wasn't enough dialogue and interaction between them in the usual get-to-know-you way that I think a seven year absence from each other's life would have called for. Because I liked them, I just wanted more.

The secondary characters were dropped in here and there, though outside of June we don't get too much detail from them. I understand that more books are planned that will follow some of these characters. I am especially intrigued to learn more about Matthew's siblings (particularly since I don't even know how many there are - they just kept popping up) and I would be interested in reading stories about them.

Bottomline: This was a very enjoyable read for me, light and fast, with likable main characters, an entertaining story, and a satisfactory conclusion. If more books are intended as a series, I'd like to continue on with any of these characters and their stories.

3-1/2 STARS

Book Links:
AMAZON   *   GOODREADS

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts.