Saturday, June 22, 2013

Book Review: Black Heart by R.L. Mathewson


Black Heart (Cursed Hearts, #1)
Black Heart by R.L. Mathewson
(Book 1 of Cursed Hearts)
June 22, 2013
Genre: Adult Paranormal Romance
Contains: sexual situations, mature language
Source: eARC from author for honest review
Book Blurb:
There was something seriously wrong with Marty. That was the only explanation that she could come up with. Why else would she feel this way for the biggest SOB in town? Granted, he was also the hottest man in town, but he was also arrogant, callous, and determined to drive her away even as he drove her crazy with his touch. She should just walk away from him and probably would if it wasn’t for this connection that she’d always had with him that kept making her want more with the one man that couldn’t give her anything more than heartache.

He should have left and never looked back when he’d decided to finally do the right thing and push Marty out of his life, but instead he stuck around to torture himself by staying close to the one woman that he could never allow himself to have. She deserved better than him, better than the tortured existence that he led and better than the horrifying future that waited for him.

My Review:

Walking into this story, I did not read the blurb ahead of time, so I had no idea what the story was going to be about. I just knew I heard RLM was writing a new series, and being a big fan of her Pyte/Sentinel and Neighbors From Hell series, knew that I had to read this one too. And let me say, RLM has done it again. I loved this first book and am so excited about the start of this amazing new series.

As for the prologue, I loved that we had one. If you read the author's note before the book, you'll get her background to the story (which I love that she included) and why she included the prologue. For me, the prologue gave the story an added element that I liked, and am very glad she put it in the book.

As for the storyline, every time I thought I knew what was coming up and felt like things were starting to plateau, RLM would throw something in there that I did not see coming. I loved that she created a story including elements of her style from previous books that I loved of hers, but also took this story to its own unique place. She combined a crazy romance between two people who loved and antagonized each other, paranormal elements that kept me guessing, and writing that combined humor and seriousness. I'd say more but I really don't want to give any plot details away. I loved discovering it for myself, and I hope you do too.

As for the characters, RLM knows how to create a frustrating, strangle-worthy, yet loving, swoon-worthy alpha male. Tristan is no exception. Add in Marty, our heroine who is smart and driven, can love unconditionally, but can stand up for herself and go toe-to-toe with the best of them, and you've got a couple who are fun (or frustrating) to watch in any situation. I completely bought into their relationship and felt on edge any time things weren't going the way I wanted them to go. Without giving anything away, let's just say this is a couple you will be rooting for.

As for the secondary characters, that is the cherry on top of this sundae. Both Tristan and Marty have great and quirky families, and I loved them. Their little interactions sprinkled throughout the book are a terrific addition. Then we meet more mysterious characters later (that I will not spoil), who add both seriousness and humor, and bring the story to a whole new level. Seriously, I like all these characters already, and I can already tell they are going to be fabulous throughout the entire series. I cannot wait to read more!

Bottomline: I'm very excited about this new series of RLM's. It combines all of the elements I like: humor, drama, paranormal, mystery, love, suspense, and great characters. There are 8 (or 9) books planned, but no major cliffhangers (yay!). We get a glimpse of what the next book will follow toward the end, and I'm already itching for it. If you are already an R.L. Mathewson fan, then this is a series you are sure to love. If you are an R.L. Mathewson newbie, I definitely recommend you dive right into the Cursed Hearts series.

5 STARS
 
Book Links:
AMAZON   *   GOODREADS


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts.