|Marked by the Vampire by Cynthia Eden|
June 5, 2014
Genre: Paranormal Romance 18+
(Contains: explicit sex, language, violence)
Source: eARC from publisher for Honest review
Vampires exist. So do werewolves. The creatures that you fear in the darkness? They’re all real. And the baddest of the paranormals…those who love to hurt humans…they’re sent to Purgatory, the only paranormal prison in the U.S.My Review:
His job is to stop the monsters.
Deadly forces are at work within Purgatory. The monsters are joining together—and their plans have to be stopped. FBI Agent Shane August, a very powerful vampire with a dark past, is sent into the prison on an undercover assignment. His job is to infiltrate the vampire clan, by any means necessary.
She wants to help the prisoners.
Dr. Olivia Maddox wants to find out just why certain paranormals go bad. What pushes some vampires over the edge? Why do some werewolves turn so savage? If she can understand the monsters, then Olivia thinks she can help them. When she gets permission to enter Purgatory, Olivia believes she is being given the research opportunity of a lifetime.
Olivia doesn't realize that she’s walking straight into hell.
To survive, they have to rely on each other.
When the prisoners break loose, there is only one person—one vampire—who can protect her, but as Olivia and Shane fight the enemies that surround them, a dark and dangerous passion stirs to life between the doctor and the vamp. Shane realizes that Olivia is a woman carrying secrets—powerful, sinful secrets. Secrets that a man would kill to possess.
And Olivia realizes that—sometimes—you can’t control the beast inside of you. No matter how hard you try. Some passions can push you to the very limits of your control…and the growing lust that she feels for her vampire…it’s sending her racing right into a deadly storm of desire.
Welcome to Purgatory…a place that’s a real hell on earth…
Marked by the Vampire is book 2 in the Purgatory series, but can be read as a standalone. I did not read the previous book, The Wolf Within, prior to reading this one, and didn't feel like I was missing any big chunks of the story. BUT there are characters from the previous book in this novel, and my interest in their story is definitely peaked, so I'm looking forward to reading their story.
I really enjoyed this read. "Why?" you ask. Because:
1. It's a quick read, with a storyline that moves and flows from start to finish. I was never bored, and got all the action, intensity, passion, and intrigue I was hoping for.
2. Vampires and werewolves never get old. And these ones had their own twist on things, which made the read that much more fascinating. Plus, throw in some other curious paranormal elements, and my attention was fully kept.
3. The concept of a paranormal prison called Purgatory that's located on an island? Seriously, how cool does that sound! I've been to Alcatraz, so it was easy for me to imagine this prison island.
4. Truly interesting characters that were strong and brave, yet vulnerable when they needed to be. Getting to know these characters in less than 200 pages was really well done. Plus, there are some great twists and spins on them, and I loved that I wasn't always sure what each characters was about.
5. I'm a sucker when it comes to "mates" and this book delivered just what I was hoping for. I could feel the chemistry, the passion, the heat, and the draw right through the pages. I believed the characters and their story. Then, with some blood-sucking thrown in, everything was golden!
6. I not only enjoyed this story, I also loved the ending. But it doesn't end there. Now I want to read the previous book. And if there are more books to come, I'd like to read those, too. I'm excited to find this new paranormal series.