|Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover|
March 18, 2014
Genre: New Adult Contemporary 18+
(Contains: sexual references, sex, strong language)
Source: Complementary copy from publisher for Honest review
From #1 New York Times bestselling author Colleen Hoover, a passionate tale of friendship, betrayal, and romance—and the enchanting music that inspires one young woman to put her life back together.
At twenty-two years old, aspiring musician Sydney Blake has a great life: She’s in college, working a steady job, in love with her wonderful boyfriend, Hunter, and rooming with her good friend, Tori. But everything changes when she discovers Hunter cheating on her with Tori—and she is left trying to decide what to do next.
Sydney becomes captivated by her mysterious neighbor, Ridge Lawson. She can’t take her eyes off him or stop listening to the daily guitar playing he does out on his balcony. She can feel the harmony and vibrations in his music. And there’s something about Sydney that Ridge can’t ignore, either: He seems to have finally found his muse. When their inevitable encounter happens, they soon find themselves needing each other in more ways than one…
**Includes a free original soundtrack by musician Griffin Peterson.My Spoiler-Free Review:
A captivating, passionate, touching, and unique journey that gripped and enthralled me until the very last word.
The 12 Steps to Reading Maybe Someday:
1. Avoid teasers and spoilers, even the book summary, if you can... Just go into this thoughtful book wide open and ready to be taken on a journey full of heart and soul. Outside of a few things, I purposely went into this pretty blind, and am so glad I did!
2. Open yourself up... Open your heart, your mind, your feelings, your perceptions, and your thoughts. Just open up and take that first step to this unique experience.
3. Fall in love with the characters... On this journey, you'll meet some truly lovely, well-intentioned characters, some very conflicted characters, some truly thoughtless characters, some slightly odd and funny characters, and some characters you simply want to wrap your arms around and love. Colleen Hoover has a real talent for creating unique and likeable characters, and I have to say that Sydney and Ridge are a couple of her best. I couldn't help but fall in love with them. There are also some funny, quirky, and downright sweet secondary characters that truly round out this tale, giving the reader a full-bodied experience.
4. Fall in love with the writing... Regardless of whether you agree with any, all, or none of what any of these characters do, the beauty of the writing is that you'll find yourself completely absorbed in this tale, struggling right alongside them and their hearts, wondering right along with them what the proper outcome should be, and entrusting yourself to hope. Hoover weaves a thoughtful tale that pushes boundaries of the heart beautifully.
5. Be confused, worried, and conflicted; doubt and fear... Hoover does a wonderful job looking at relationships, fidelity, friendship, communication, expectations, bonding, feelings, love, and so much more, viewing multiple angles and considerations, taking the reader on a beautifully captivating journey that makes you think and feel.
6. Love the music, the harmony, the raw talent, the raw emotion...The bond between Sydney and Ridge, our two narrators, is so well done, and the use of music is so completely natural and organic, that you can't help but be completely captivated by all that encompasses them. The musical and lyrical journey, and all the special nuances, intricacies, and intimacies that Hoover adds, are simply spell-binding.
7. Be wrapped up completely... Live inside this story because you have given yourself completely over to it. You won't know whether you agree or disagree. You won't know who you're supposed to like or not like. All the avenues explored through them are fascinating and absorbing. You will feel yourself walking in someone else's shoes.
8. Endure the emotions... Have your heart gripped, your emotions flayed, and your loyalties tested. Embrace the conflict and feel each and every feeling the characters feel. And though you'll hurt and ache, cry and fret, you'll love it at the same time.
9. Be blown away on how it all comes together... Discover how this story, that you couldn't even have imagined, will completely move your heart, take you to the unexpected, and make you fall in love over and over again. The build-up, the conflict, the crescendo - all the pieces come together in such a unique, respectful, thoughtful, and powerful way.
10. And then... Embrace. Every. Last. Moment. Until. The. Very. Last. Word.
11. But wait, there's more... Then read the unexpected bonus epilogue (on Colleen's website)with one of those cheesy, happy smiles on your face because Hoover knew exactly what you needed.
12. Take a breather... Then read Maybe Someday all over again with a completely new perspective, enjoying it all over again, but in a new yet familiar way. Because this is simply one of those books you'll want to re-read and relish all over again.
Bottomline, I loved Maybe Someday! The course was not always easy, and I wasn't always sure I'd like where it would go, but by the end I felt completely satisfied and gratified by this magical journey. The writing, the exploration, and the journey, was considerate, contemplative, and compassionate. I loved getting to know these extraordinary characters, their stories, their gifts; being absorbed in the music, the art, the talent; and exploring love, life, friendship, and future. This is a beautifully written gift from Colleen Hoover!