Friday, April 3, 2015

Double Review: The Jamieson Collection by Angie Stanton

I read these books almost three years ago, but with book three finally coming out, I realized I'd never posted my reviews. These are just quick reviews I wrote when I first read them. But I'm looking forward to the next Jamieson brother's story!

Rock and a Hard Place by Angie Stanton
(The Jamieson Collection #1)
Originally published: April 15, 2011
304 pages
Genre: YA Contemporary
Source: Personal purchase

In an instant, Libby's life went from picture-perfect to a nightmare. After surviving a terrible car accident, Libby is abandoned by her father and left with her controlling aunt. A new town, a new school, no friends--Libby is utterly alone. But then she meets Peter.

The lead singer in a rock band with his brothers, Peter hates that his parents overly manage his life. Constantly surrounded by family, Peter just wants to get away. And when he meets Libby, he's finally found the one person who just wants to be with him, not the rock star.

But while Peter battles his family's growing interference in both his music and personal life, Libby struggles with her aunt, who turns nastier each day. And even though Libby and Peter desperately want to be together, their drastically different lives threaten to keep them apart forever.


This story takes you on quite an emotional journey. Libby's story is heart-wrenching with her tragic circumstances. But I loved when she and Peter met and they could see each other for who they really were, not the preconceived notions that followed each of them in their usual everyday lives. I liked how their camaraderie and relationship grew with their brief meetings but long phone conversations. I was routing for them all the way, but of course more tragedy and conflict had to come, taking Libby down one difficult path after another. But the one good thing to come of all that was Libby learning independence and perseverance in spite of her situation. I love the guts it took for her to get out on her own. I also loved that Peter couldn't and wouldn't forget her or searching for her, and they never stopped loving each other. The ending was perfect. Yay for Libby and Peter!



Snapshot by Angie Stanton
(The Jamieson Collection #2)
Originally published: June 10, 2011
340 pages
Genre: YA Contemporary
Contains: sexual references
Source: Personal purchase

Marti Hunter just wants a normal life. After dealing with her cool-but-clueless rock legend father and absentee mother, she only wants some peace . . . and fun. And that includes a summer studying photography at an exclusive arts camp.

For Adam Jamieson, a normal life is not possible--not when he is the lead guitarist in a rock band with his brothers. So he's thrilled to finally have an opportunity to disguise himself and live like a regular teenager at summer camp.

And when Adam meets Marti, sparks fly. Between romantic bonfires and stolen kisses, they are inseparable.

Then Marti discovers who Adam truly is, and her world is turned upside down. Ever since her father left her, she vowed never to fall for a rocker. But when tragedy strikes, Marti is forced to look within. And she discovers that maybe falling in love with a rock star is not so crazy after all.


I really liked Rock and a Hard Place, and had hoped for the same experience with Snapshot. While I liked the characters of Adam and Marti in general, I felt the storyline was trying to be too edgy for the age group represented. Seemed like it was written by a different author than RAAHP, except for the format and somewhat similar situations of Libby and Marti. One big "issue" that Adam and Marti dealt with that started at camp (avoiding spoilers here), I had a big problem with. It seemed forced and abrupt considering both their backgrounds and they'd only know each other a week before being so physical. I think the book would have been better if they'd slowed down. The second half of the book was better for me than the first half, probably because of the separation of the characters. I wanted to like this more than I did, but just couldn't, particularly because of the "issue" I previously referred to. But if there is a next book about Garrett, I'll be sure to check it out. I also liked Stanton's Dreamchaser.




The Jamieson Collection:

Book 1: Rock and a Hard Place

Book 2: Snapshot

Book 3: Under the Spotlight
(Coming: May 5, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts.