Saturday, October 22, 2016

Review: Beard Science by Penny Reid

Beard Science by Penny Reid
(Winston Brothers #3)
October 11, 2016
400 pages
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Contains: sexual references, sex, some language

Make a deal with the devil and you might get what you want, but will it be what you need?

Jennifer Sylvester wants one thing, and that one thing is NOT to be Tennessee’s reigning Banana Cake Queen. Ever the perpetual good girl and obedient daughter, Jennifer is buckling under the weight of her social media celebrity, her mother’s ambitions, and her father’s puritanical mandates. Jennifer is officially desperate.

And desperate times call for Cletus Winston.

Cletus Winston is a puzzle wrapped in a mystery covered in conundrum sauce, and now he’s in a pickle. Despite being convinced of his own omniscience, extortion by the exalted Banana Cake Queen of Green Valley has taken him completely by surprise. So... what’s a maniacal mastermind to do?

Likely, the last thing you expect.

'Beard Science' is the third book in the Winston Brothers series, is a full-length romantic comedy novel, and can be read as a standalone.

'Beard Science' was quite simply... AMAZING! To say that I had high hopes for Cletus's book would be an understatement. My anticipation level was off the charts. And Penny Reid NAILED it! Cletus and Jennifer's story rocked my socks off. I can't imagine this story going any other way. I absolutely fell in love with Cletus and Jennifer. Well, I was already in love with Cletus, but mostly as a quirky sidekick who would always keep me on my toes. But Cletus in love brings it all to a whole new level.

Cletus meeting his match, losing control, and having his very determined and plotted course radically changed, all because a woman surprised him and blew him away - now that's a whole new level of Cletus I love, Love, LOVED! What I really and truly loved about this novel was the gorgeous character development. This wasn't some cardboard cut-out romance where two people simply fell in love and had some fun events getting there. These were two people whose lives radically changed. But the fascinating part was that they didn't even know they needed to change. Cletus was challenged by this woman who was far from his comfortable ideal. Jennifer was challenged by this man who forced her to question the control she had over her life. And the result was not only a couple in the beautiful depths of love, but two individuals who simply blossomed into new creations of themselves. I could wax poetic about how much I loved Cletus and Jennifer.

Why did this book have to end? I want to read about Cletus and Jennifer all the time! I want to read more stories about them. I want all the novellas and stories about them. Wedding? Yes! Pregnant Jenn and doting Cletus? Yes please! Cletus as a dad trying to reason with a toddler? Definitely! All the mini Cletuses and Jenns gardening in their overalls? Yes yes yes!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts.