Thursday, January 3, 2013

Book Review: Independence


Independence (Significance, #4)
Independence by Shelly Crane
December 18, 2012
Source: Personal Kindle Purchase
 
Goodreads Summary:
In the fourth and final installment, Maggie and Caleb must tie up all the loose ends of their lives and make a way to be together completely on their own. With everything that happened with Bish and Maggie's father, she's almost reluctant to move on and move out. And now she must figure out all of this...stuff...with Haddock. But of course, nothing can stay simple for the Jacobsons. Enemies who were thought to be dissolved have decided to not go down so easily. And old flames come calling for more than just Maggie. Caleb is torn between leading his family and personal wants. Maggie is torn between Caleb and being the leader of their people. But neither will let what they need most to be pushed to the wayside. They are determined to make it all work, design a plan toward destiny, and make everything right again for themselves and their family.

And then there's a wedding...

My Review:

Independence is the fourth and final book of the Significance series by Shelly Crane. To say I loved this series would be an understatement. If you enjoy reading about soul-mates finding each other and then going through a myriad of tests to fight for their love while others are trying to tear them apart, then this is the series for you. I re-read the previous three books (plus Reverence) right before starting Independence and it made it an extra special treat to fully engross myself in this world Shelly created and Caleb and Maggie’s love for each other.
Defiance (book 3), left us reeling after the conflict with the Watsons resulting in Rodney’s death and most of the Watsons losing their powers, the revealing of Maggie’s birth father (Haddock), Maggie accepting being the visionary and leader to the clans, Caleb becoming the Jacobson Champion, Bish and Jen imprinting (Yay! Finally!), and Jim and Fiona imprinting.
In Independence, we finally get to see what Shelly has in store for Caleb and Maggie and how she is going to give them their happily ever after…or is she? Will Maggie be able to stop the vision of Bish and Jen...or won't she? Will Marcus resurface...or get a personality transplant? I will keep the spoilers to myself and simply say I love how Shelly paced the book, leading up to before and after the much-anticipated wedding of Caleb and Maggie. (This is not a spoiler since Shelly herself already revealed it). The wedding was beautiful and perfect!
Leading up to the wedding, there was no shortage of drama and annoying characters trying to ruin Caleb and Maggie’s happiness. After the wedding, characters continue to try to break them apart. These tests prove how faithful Caleb and Maggie are to each other and their families. I loved reading their scenes, their commitment, and their faithfulness to what they saw for their future together. Others in the Jacobson clan were tested and I really enjoyed watching that family stay together, fight for each other, and not give up in spite of aggravating circumstances. Of course, after Caleb and Maggie, Bish and Jen gave me an extra dose of warm-fuzzy feelings.
Bottomline: I love this series! I think I had one of those goofy grins on my face half the time, because despite the drama and frustration with so many circumstances, Caleb and Maggie just made me happy. Shelly Crane's writing makes me happy. I’m just sad this is the last book. But this is certainly a series I will re-read and enjoy all over again.
Minor note: There are a few editing issues in all of the books. But if you can look past them, like I did, you can truly enjoy the magic that Shelly creates.

5 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts.