Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Book Review: The Death Cure

The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3)
The Death Cure by James Dashner
October 11, 2011
Delacorte Books
325 pages
Source: Personal Purchase
Goodreads Summary:
Thomas knows that Wicked can't be trusted, but they say the time for lies is over, that they've collected all they can from the Trials and now must rely on the Gladers, with full memories restored, to help them with their ultimate mission. It's up to the Gladers to complete the blueprint for the cure to the Flare with a final voluntary test.

What Wicked doesn't know is that something's happened that no Trial or Variable could have foreseen. Thomas has remembered far more than they think. And he knows that he can't believe a word of what Wicked says.

The time for lies is over. But the truth is more dangerous than Thomas could ever imagine.
Will anyone survive the Death Cure?
My Review:

Well, I really liked this series. A lot. The last book was just as suspenseful as the other two. I loved the short chapters, yet was amazed how every one still felt like a mini-cliffhanger. I had a hard time putting the book down. I continued to love Thomas, Newt, and Minho. I felt their frustration and hurt for them in their heartbreak. I wanted to whisk them away to a HEA and wished some of the things they went through I could change. I had mixed feeling about Teresa and Brenda. I guess Thomas' feelings of betrayal by Teresa were greater than Brenda's because of the length of their relationship. Brenda was on Thomas' side more, I guess. But then there were the twists to the story that made me go "Hmm." I felt bad for Teresa but I also liked Brenda. Oh the dilemmas.

I don't want to give any details away. So I'll just say that I really appreciated all the twists and turns of The Death Cure. I liked that not all of our questions are answered. But I also felt like some things seemed a bit contradictory and didn't make sense, perhaps some plot holes, hence why I have a slightly lower rating than the previous books. But I liked the ending even though I don't feel like it was wrapped up with a bow. That's okay. That's life. The characters will still have to deal with the emotional (and physical) consequences of what they went through with WICKED and each other in the future. And I wonder if that little twist at  the end will ever be revealed. Another "Hmm" moment. So the question remains: Is WICKED good? You'll have to decide for yourself.

4 1/2 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts.