Friday, October 11, 2013

Book Review: One Week Girlfriend


One Week Girlfriend (Drew + Fable, #1)
One Week Girlfriend by Monica Murphy
January 10, 2013 (repub 7/17/13)
Bantam Publishing
290 pages
Genre: New Adult
(contains: sexual content, mature topics)
Source: Personal ebook purchase,
Won paperback from publisher
Book Blurb:
Temporary. That’s the word I’d use to describe my life right now. I’m temporarily working double shifts—at least until I can break free. I’m temporarily raising my little brother—since apparently our actual mother doesn’t give a crap about either of us. And I always end up as nothing but the temporary girlfriend—the flavor of the week for every guy who’s heard the rumor that I give it up so easily.

At least Drew Callahan, college football legend and local golden boy, is upfront about it. He needs someone to play the part of his girlfriend for one week. In exchange for cash. As if that’s not weird enough, ever since he brought me into his world, nothing really makes sense. Everyone hates me. Everyone wants something from him. And yet the only thing Drew seems to want is . . . me.

I don’t know what to believe anymore. Drew is sweet, sexy, and hiding way more secrets than I am. All I know is, I want to be there for him—permanently.


My Review:

I wasn't sure how to rate this, but the fact that it stuck with me so long after reading it, I couldn't stop myself from giving it 5 Stars. It's a quick read that completely sucked me in, and I read it in a day. As you can see from the blurb, we are following Drew and Fable for a little over a week watching them in a "fake" relationship that Drew needs while they visit his parents for a week during Thanksgiving break. Of course, we are instantly thinking about "why" Drew needs this buffer of a fake girlfriend for his family visit, what secrets Drew had so deeply locked inside, and what Fable is going to do as she gets to know this guy who was essentially a stranger to her before this deal. Add to that the very tangible sparks of electricity between them, and this will be a very interesting week for sure.

Along with the intrigue of the plotline and the mystery of the secrets, I really enjoyed the characters. Drew was a ball of muscled mystery, but the reality that no one really knew him, that he was so afraid of getting close to others, and the feelings he had to live with really drew me to him. I wanted to reach out and help him, and cheered Fable when she tried to get through to him. His vulnerability was touching. Drew's story was heart-breaking, and even though I had my suspicions, I commend the author on the way she handled and approached her subject matter.

Fable is a strong heroine, who works so hard and looks out for her own, but is so alone, and feels so unloved and unwanted. But despite all that, she is kind and gentle and didn't let the bitterness take her over, and I loved that about her. I loved Fable's compassionate heart and the way she would stand up for what was important, push when she needed to push, be vulnerable when she needed to be, be responsible for her brother, and be so real with her loneliness and neglect.

As far as mystery goes, despite figuring out many of Drew's secrets, I still wanted to see how it all played out. And I wanted to see if the author would throw any other surprises out there, which she did. It was properly suspenseful and intriguing. The romance was fast but the situation was also highly emotional and intensive, causing emotions to be at their height during this one week period. Plus, these are two people who have different upbringings and experiences, but also similarities and underlying caring attitudes, and with that I could get how things would spark quickly.

Bottomline: This was a beautifully written story about two individuals with hurtful pasts, but through unconventional circumstances are able to break through each other's barriers and give each other a glimpse into something better. There is healing to be done, and I admire the author stepping into a mature topic with compassion. These characters and their story moved me and I look forward to the next book and continuing their journey. Well done, Ms. Murphy!
 
5 STARS

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts.