Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Review: Willing Captive by Belle Aurora

Willing Captive by Belle Aurora
August 21, 2014
244 pages
Genre: New Adult, Romance, Suspense
Contains: sex, profanity
Source: Personal purchase

Delilah “Lily” Flynn is used to her drab existence. Lily’s been living it for twenty two years.
Her boring life is suddenly turned on its head when she’s rudely kidnapped from her bedroom.
Or so she thinks.

Nox Taylor is far too high up in his field to be assigned a babysitting job.
There’s nothing more he wants than to complete his mission so he can be rid of the smartass tomboy, Lily.

Day after day, Nox watches Lily and her strange ways. She’s unlike any woman he’s ever met.
Getting close to the girl is purely for her own protection…right?

Lily never imagined she’d make her first real friends in captivity.
What lengths would she go through to keep them?

(Author note: This is NOT a dark romance.)

Wow! I absolutely loved 'Willing Captive'! To be honest, it took me two attempts to get past the first chapter to get into the book. I guess it felt a bit info-dumpy and I wasn't sure about Lily. I thought maybe there was too much hype about this book and I'd be the odd-man-out not liking it. Well, thank goodness I got past all that! Because not far into this book I did not want to put it down. I was completely sucked into Lily and Nox's story! It's a new addition to my favorites shelf.

Lily was a hoot. For being basically a locked away princess, she had buckets full of personality and wasn't about to be stuck in a corner. After years of compliance, she blooms in the presence of Nox, Boo, and Rock. I found it entertaining how one moment she could be immature and whiny, the next sensitive and compassionate, then next fun and crazy, and then next bold and loving. I think it's because of her varying personalities that I liked her so much, because I could completely relate to having wild moods. Then watching her come alive with Nox as the catalyst was simply delightful.

Nox was his own special form of awesomeness. I loved that we got a few chapters or scenes from his POV, but not too many. I like a bit of mystery, and don't need every detail spelled out for me. So the bits from Nox were perfect. And Nox, being so different from Lily, was perfect. He's the stability to her crazy, the patience to her spazzing, the calm to her storm. But she also brings out the side of him that seems to have been locked away, bringing him back to life and happiness and a future. And let's just say, an uninhibited Nox is a sexy, sexy Nox.

What I really loved about this story was the combination of blooming romance, sweet friendships, and life-threatening suspense and danger. Let's not forget that Lily is a captive and the danger is unknown but relentless. But somehow this story was able to balance all these aspects with the perfect combination of humor, sass, secrecy, intensity, suspense, sweetness, chemistry, sexiness, danger, shyness, heartbreak, friendship, and boundless love. I won't go into detail, but I will say that I was completely absorbed in this story, needing to see how it all turned out and taking the ride till the very end. (And I loved how it ended!)

All I can say at this point, is that I loved 'Willing Captive.' It exceeded any expectations I had. I fell in love with Nox and Lily, big time. I felt like I was right alongside them during the suspense, and cheering them on in the game of love. I feel like reading their story was a special treat, and I look forward to future re-reads.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts.