Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Review: Breaking Up With Barrett by Katy Regnery

Breaking Up with Barrett  (The English Brothers, #1)
Breaking Up With Barrett by Katy Regnery
(The English Brothers #1)
July 22, 2014
200 pages
Genre: Contemporary Romance 18+
(Contains: sex)
Source: eARC from publisher for Honest review

Book Synopsis:
Breaking Up with Barrett is the first of five books about the Philadelphia-based, wildly-handsome English brothers who are all on the look-out for love.

(Except Alex. He's a womanizing manwhore. And maybe Stratton, because he's wicked hot, but super awkward around girls.)

Barrett English, aka "the Shark," is the fair-haired, first-born of the English brothers, and the CEO of the oldest, most prestigious investment banking firm in Philadelphia. He rules the boardroom with an iron fist, refusing to take no for an answer and always getting his way.

Emily Edwards, a first-year doctoral student at the University of Pennsylvania, grew up in the gatehouse on the outskirts of Barrett's childhood estate. The daughter of his family's gardener and housekeeper, she was always looking through the window of privilege, but forced to remember her place at the very periphery of the kingdom.

When business partners suggest that a fiancée might soften Barrett's image over business dinners, he approaches Emily for the "job" of fiancée. And while love wasn't necessarily on Barrett's radar, he begins to realize that Emily always has been. But will his take-no-prisoners boardroom tactics work on the heart of the woman he loves?
My Review:

Breaking Up with Barrett is the first in series of books revolving around the five English brothers. Each can be read as a standalone. But from even the little glimpses I got about each of the other brothers in this one, I look forward to reading about all of them. I particularly look forward to this entire series because I love Katy Regnery's writing style. I love the characters she creates and the depths in which she explores them. And I love the sweet romances she writes and the connection I feel with each love story.

As for Barrett and Emily's story - it was absolutely wonderful. They were a bit unconventional and started a bit awkwardly, and I loved that about them. When someone is constantly referred to as "the Shark," you wonder how such a tough businessman is going relate or lighten up around a girl who is so sweet and genuine. But that is the beauty of this story. That two people, who on paper would never match up, somehow understand each other better than even they expected. It may have taken them some time and work to get there, but ultimately they brought out the best in each other, whether in public or private, and were at their best when they were being their true selves, and I loved that about them.

In addition to the appeal of their differences, I loved that they had such a rich history with each other. From the blurb, we know that Emily's parents work for Barrett's parents on their estate. But there is so much more to their past that I cannot give away, but let me just say it is so sweet! There's this scene on the balcony when Barrett is telling Emily some things, and... well, I can't say what, but seriously, I loved that scene! I completely fell in love with Barrett and Emily's story big time. I liked them individually; I loved them together. They have some major sighing and swooning moments. Barrett "the Shark" could be quite the angelfish, and Emily was just the honest gal to bring it out of him.

If you love a sweet romance with just the right amount of struggle and sexiness, Breaking Up with Barrett is just the read for you. Barrett and Emily's story is complete with a tender past, touching present, tantalizing chemistry, and triumphant love. I had a mini book hangover after finishing this story, I enjoyed it so much. I hope these two make appearances in the other books, because I completely loved them.
 
5 STARS
 
Book Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please feel free to share your thoughts.